How can Massage get Rid of Stress
Sometimes, we go through changes among other things in life and majority of the times – even if we do not realise it- its causing us stress. Most of us, when we feel like this, we say “it’s no biggy” but that’s where we are wrong.
What is stress?
Stress is any factor that threatens your mental or physical well-being. It might not be the factor of itself that’s detrimental but how you respond to it. There are some people who use the effects of stress to perform to the best of their abilities (positive stress), while with others, the smallest thing can send them over the edge with worrying (negative stress).
But, stress is stress regardless, and they both affect our bodies one way or another. Stress can lead to: muscle tensions, heart problems, headaches, depression, angina, stroke, arthritis and among other issues with the body.
What are the symptoms of stress?
Have you ever found yourself just shivering for no reason or sweaty palms? Sure this sounds like you are just nervous about something, but, as I mentioned before it might not be the factor itself but the way you respond to it which will lead to stress. This could be a sign that you are stressed, as well as, pain the the shoulders and lower back (tension tends to build up in these areas in 6/10 individuals). A few other symptoms may also be:
- dizzy or fainting
- clenching your jaw
- chest pains
- overly tired
- high blood pressure
- feeling sick
How to use massage to get rid of stress?
Sometimes, you might need to find a way to calm your nerves and de-stress. Medication and conventional relaxation methods (such as drinking and smoking) is not one of those ways, because too much of those methods will have an adverse effect on the body in the long run. Instead, having a break and taking deep breaths is a helpful way, as well as, holistic massage therapy. Massage can help reduce the symptoms and increase blood flow and deep relaxation without causing any harm to the body.
Massage relies on one of the most neglected senses – touch – and the touch therapy of massage can reduce depression and boost self-esteem, as well as comfort. It releases the happy hormones (endorphins) while boosting the immune system as it stimulates circulation and the lymphatic system leading to increased energy levels and calms the mind.
What are some of the best massages to reduce stress?
- Swedish massage – for relaxation and elimination of insomnia
- Deep tissue massage- for releasing those tight tension knots in the shoulders and lower back.
- Aromatherapy massage – The use of essential oils helps to improve blood circulation, defeated insomnia, relieve headaches (Our Focus Mood Range is perfect for this as they contain peppermint essential oil)
- Acupuncture – Fine needles are gently placed on your acupoints which are located on many parts of the body. It is a harmonizing Qi in Chinese medicine which involved restoring life balance and well-being of health and energy flow. This treatment may al be used for treating cardiovascular-related disorders
- Reflexology – Puts the body in a state of ideal relaxation releasing muscle tension. In this state, it improves health and wellbeing, nerve function and allows blood and lymph to circulate freely.
- Thai- Your trained therapist will use gentle pressure and stretching techniques to relax the body. It involves moving and manipulating the body to relieve the built up tension.
- Chinese massage- There are different types of cupping methods, some of which are: herbal cupping, light, medium, strong, moving, empty, and water cupping. It is thought to act by mainly increasing blood circulation and relieving muscle tension, regulating your functional state and increase muscle relaxation caused by stress.